Sports dentistry focuses on the prevention and treatment of dental injuries and its related oral diseases, as well as shared information and equipment specifically designed to help protect not only the teeth, but the mouth, jaw, and face of athletes of all ages. Injuries to the teeth and mouth unfortunately can and do occur among athletes. It’s important to be proactive protecting your child’s smile if he/she plays sports, for aesthetics as well as health reasons.
Common Dental Injuries in Sports:
Tooth knocked out
- Time is of the essence when trying to save a tooth, so get to our office as soon as possible. In general, there is a 60-minute window of opportunity to re-implant the tooth in the socket.
- If comfortable re-implantingthe tooth, gently rinse off any debris from the tooth and re-insert, making sure the tooth is in the right orientation. If you’re unsure, please call us.
- The best liquid to transport a tooth in is cold milk. If milk is not available, use saliva (if possible), saline, or if nothing else is available, water.
- Don’t let the tooth dry out and don’t wrap it in anything.
- Don’t touch the tooth root if you can avoid it.
- Dr. Herzog will likely use an X-ray of the tooth to determine the treatment necessary.
- For a serious chip that exposes the pulp of the tooth, arrive at our office as soon as possible.
- If a tooth is chipped or cracked, it perhaps can be fixed solely with a filling or bonding.
- When a tooth is cracked or chipped in a way that affects the nerve of the tooth, and a more complicated treatment may be necessary.
- If a tooth is moved due to trauma, see us as soon as possible to assess the situation.
- Do not try to move the tooth back on your own.
- Apply ice for any mouth discomfort before you get to our office.
The best way to prevent injury to your child’s teeth and mouth while playing sports is to wear a mouthguard. There are several types of mouthguards to choose from. Let us help you choose the best one to suit your child’s particular needs.
Exceptional Dental Care
- Family Owned Practice
- Hablamos Espanol
- Painless Sedation Dentistry
- State-of-the-Art Technology
- Free Teeth Whitening for New Patients
- In-Network with Most Major Dental Insurance
- Highly Educated Dental Team
- Payment Plans & Financing Available