Your exam will include:
• digital x-rays
• a panoramic x-ray (to assess bone health, TMJ problems, tumors, cysts, abscesses, or impacted teeth)
• a complete head and neck examination (feel for any "lumps and bumps, check the TMJ function and check the general health of your oral tissues)
• the Doctor checking your orthodontic alignment
• checking your teeth for wear, fractures, decay
• checking for any broken or leaking restorations
• a comprehensive periodontal examination
Battlefield Modern Dentistry will discuss her findings with you and your treatment options. Based on the exam you will be given a treatment estimate for your dental needs.
Scaling and root planning are when your teeth are scraped and cleaned of tartar build up. This is necessary for healthy teeth and gums.
Typically, this is done by hand with metal instruments. However, we also utilize an ultrasonic scaler to clean your teeth. This device, instead of using metal instruments, sends an ultrasonic vibration to blast off tartar and dental calculus.
Ultrasonic cleaning should be used for large deposits of dental calculus and then followed up manually removing the remaining smaller deposits. This will leave your teeth very clean and you will be able to feel the smoothness of your teeth. Some of the benefits are:
- This state-of-the-art ultrasonic dental cleaning method cuts down on the time it takes for scaling and root planing by removing more dental calculus at once.
- It's effective in limiting the progression of the early stages of gum disease.
- This powerful method can reduce the appearance tooth stains
Fluoride varnish is made with a mineral (fluoride) that can strengthen tooth enamel. It is applied to the teeth by a dental professional to help prevent tooth decay or keep the decay from getting worse.
The fluoride varnish is brushed on each tooth with a small brush. At first, it is sticky and then hardens quickly. This procedure does not hurt and is a safe product that is a good solution for children.
Excessive teeth grinding is known as bruxism. According to the National Sleep Foundation, bruxism affects about 8% of adults.
There are two types of bruxism, sleep and awake. Sleep or night teeth grinding is fairly common in adults and may result in chipped teeth, morning headaches, earaches, and Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD). If you suffer from night teeth grinding you may get relief from a properly fitted night mouth guard. Schedule an appointment with us to evaluate your situation.
For digital x-rays, you will have a sensor inserted into your mouth as with traditional x-rays. However, that is where the similarities stop.
With digital x-rays you will:
• be exposed to much less radiation (up to 90% less)
• result in faster dental appointments (no waiting for film to be developed)
• be more environmentally friendly (no physical film is produced and thus there's nothing to discard in the future)
• be easy to transfer to other dentist and specialists (a digital file is produced and in turn can be emailed)
Treatment for Gum Disease
Your gum disease treatment will depend on several factors, including your personal health history and the stage of your gum disease. This page covers:
Our teeth are covered with a sticky film of bacteria, called plaque (sounds like PLAK). When we eat or drink anything that contains sugar-such as cookies, candy, soda, juice, or sports drinks-bacteria turn the sugar into acids that can attack tooth enamel. Over time, these attacks may cause tooth decay, or cavities. The good news is that there is a way to protect teeth and prevent decay: dental sealants.
Fluoride is used to prevent tooth decay and is available in many over-the-counter types of toothpaste. Prescription fluoride toothpaste contains a higher concentration of fluoride (5000 parts per million). This is the maximum strength available and it plays an important role in preventing and controlling dental caries (cavities).